Outdoor Skewer Celebration
Preparation time: 35 minutes
Sample the best the world has to offer with this varied menu. Try some Laredo burger skewers for a Southern flavor, Italian-inspired caprese salad and Bush’s® Original Baked Beans with crispy bacon. Enjoy Woodbridge® Chardonnay and Simply Lemonade® with Raspberry to drink and end on a sweet note with a lemon Bundt cake from our Bakery.
- Tostitos® and Doritos®
- Ranch/French onion and salsa/queso dips
- Laredo burger skewers
- Arnold’s® Steak Buns
- Bush’s® Original Baked Beans topped with crispy bacon
- Caprese salad
- Grilled corn and zucchini salad
- Simply Lemonade® with Raspberry
- Woodbridge® Chardonnay
- Artisan fresh lemon Bundt cake with vanilla ice cream and fresh berries
Laredo Burger Skewers
Serves 4 to 5 (8 skewers)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon corn chips, crushed
- 2 1/2 tablespoons garlic, crushed
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cilantro or parsley, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds 80/20 ground chuck, room temperature
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
- Vegetable oil
- 12 skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- Mix all ingredients, except beef, in a large bowl. Add beef and mix gently with a fork to blend (over-handling makes beef tough).
- Form beef into 16 equal balls (about 1 1/2 ounces each).
- Assemble skewers by sliding on a wedge of onion, then a small meatball. At this stage, use your hands to shape the meat into a cylinder or football shape around the skewer. Add another piece of onion, then a second meatball, then a final wedge of onion. Brush all over with vegetable oil and sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Put the skewers on a medium hot grill, turning several times, for about 8 to 10 minutes.
- To serve, slide meat and onions onto an Arnold’s Steak Bun or favorite roll (2 or 3 meatballs per). Top with jack cheese, avocado and sliced tomatoes or salsa.
This famous salad is wonderful because it is simply fresh ingredients at their best. The classic is dressed with fine olive oil, but good vinegar or vinaigrette can also be used.
Makes 4 to 5 servings
- 4 large, perfectly ripe beefsteak tomatoes
- 1 pound fresh Mozzarella cheese
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 1/4 cup (or more) extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Slice the tomatoes into thick discs. Cut the mozzarella into 1/4-inch slices.
- On a platter or individual plates, alternate a slice of tomato, a whole basil leaf, a slice of mozzarella and repeat. When you have arranged all of your ingredients in this way, drizzle fine olive oil over all. Season with kosher salt and grindings of black pepper.
Grilled corn and zucchini salad
Makes 5 to 6 servings
- 4 ears corn
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced in half lengthwise
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced into wedges
- 3/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño or Serrano chili, seeded and minced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat grill to hot.
- Toss peppers and zucchini with oil and lightly salt and pepper.
- Add to hot grill alongside corn and cook peppers until charred (about 12 minutes). Zucchini will take about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Grill corn. Let cool.
- Slice corn kernels from cobs, dice zucchini and peppers.
- Combine all ingredients and toss to combine. Taste for seasoning. Serve at room temperature, or refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
Heat 6 cups of beans over low heat. Meanwhile cook 5 strips of bacon to crisp. Serve hot beans topped with crumbled, crisp bacon.
Top a wedge of lemon Bundt cake with a scoop of vanilla or peach ice cream and a sprinkle of fresh berries.
* Alcohol liquor is available for sale to the general public without obtaining a Membership in all states. Alcohol brands available in select Clubs in limited quantities. Brands may vary by Club. Please drink responsibly.
Sam’s Club Shopping List
- Tostitos and Doritos (Frito-Lay® Pick N Pack)
- Ranch/French onion and salsa/queso dips
- Arnold’s Steak Buns, 12 pack
- Bush’s Original Baked Beans, 117 ounces
- Bacon, 3 pounds
- Ground cumin, 5.5 ounces
- 2 bunches fresh basil
- Onion powder, 10 ounces
- Tabasco® sauce, 12 ounces
- Garlic, 2 pounds
- 1 1/2 pounds 80/20 ground chuck
- Onions, 5 pounds
- Tomatoes, 6 count
- Frigo® mozzarella, 2 pounds
- Olive oil, 3 liters
- Corn on the cob, 8 count
- Zucchini, 6 count
- Red bell peppers , 6 count
- Red onions, 5 pounds
- Kolios® Greek feta cheese, 12 ounces
- Red wine vinegar, 1 gallon
- Simply Lemonade® with Raspberry, 59-ounce PET carafe
- 2 bottles Woodbridge Chardonnay
- 1 artisan fresh lemon Bundt cake
- Vanilla ice cream, 1/2 gallon
- Raspberries, 18 ounces