FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Servings: 10-12 balls
In classic Italian cooking, these flavorful rice balls are most often deep-fried. But baked as directed in this recipe, they are more healthful and easier to prepare-yet they are still wonderfully crispy with a gooey, cheesy interior.
View all tips »
Rinse hands in cold water when forming balls to keep them from sticking.
- 1 rounded cup uncooked Kraft® Minute® White Rice
- 1 cup(s) chicken stock
- 1/3 cup(s) onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, mashed
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup(s) ham or bacon, finely minced
- 1/2 cup(s) Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 2 eggs, divided
- 1 Tbsp. milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- fresh or dried parsley
- 4 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup(s) panko or Italian breadcrumbs
- Combine chicken stock, onion and garlic. Cook rice in chicken stock mixture in place of water according to package directions.
- Let rice cool then mix with olive oil, ham, Parmesan cheese, parsley and 1 beaten egg. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Refrigerate mixture for at least 2 hours or overnight before forming into balls.
- For each ball, squeeze 2 tablespoons of the rice mixture into a ball in the palm of your hand. Place a mozzarella cube in the center and use both hands to press firmly and enclose the cheese.
- Beat the remaining egg with milk.
- Roll each ball lightly in flour. Use a fork to dip balls into egg mixture then roll in panko to coat. Place on a cookie sheet and chill for 20 minutes or overnight before cooking.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line a cookie sheet with foil and brush generously with olive oil. Place balls on cookie sheet and spray generously with cooking spray. Bake for 25 minutes, turning several times.
- Serve on Classico® Tomato & Basil Premium Pasta Sauce or your favorite marinara sauce