FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Servings: 1.5 cups
Mexico’s guacamole has become an American staple. This super-healthy, low-calorie version made with asparagus tastes astonishingly like the original made with avocadoes.
View all tips »
The refrigeration time is key to developing that creamy guacamole texture and flavor. Don’t skip this step.
- 1 lb. asparagus, woody ends removed
- 2 Tbsp. softened cream cheese
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup favorite tomato salsa
- 1/2 lime or lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup(s) green or red onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 to 3 dashes Tabasco® or favorite hot sauce
- Optional: 1 seeded, minced jalapeño pepper
- Steam asparagus about 5 minutes or until tender. Drain well and pat dry with paper towels.
- Put asparagus and cream cheese in food processor and pulse until smooth. Add cilantro, garlic, salt, hot sauce and lime juice. Process until smooth. Add salsa in pulses, leaving some small chunks.
- Taste for salt and pepper. Refrigerate at least one hour before serving with chips or veggies for dipping.