FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Asparagus and Shrimp Stir-fry
Looking for an easy-to-prepare dinner that is also fresh and healthy? This quick stir-fry, featuring shrimp and a medley of fresh vegetables, fits the bill. Serve it over jasmine or brown rice.
View all tips »
If you’re in a rush, you can omit the marinating time on the shrimp, but it embellishes the garlic flavor before cooking.
- 1/2 tsp. red chili flakes or favorite hot sauce (Tabasco®, sriracha)
- 1 1/2 tsp. ginger, grated or .50 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. sesame oil (optional)
- 1 lb. large, peeled raw shrimp
- 4 large cloves garlic, very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup(s) peanut or vegetable oil
- 1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup(s) sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 lb. asparagus, woody ends removed, sliced in half lengthwise and sliced in half again
- 6 oz. Portobello or shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- Combine shrimp, garlic and 1 tablespoon of the oil in a medium bowl. Stir to evenly mix and refrigerate, covered, for 1 hour.
- When ready to prepare, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large wok or nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pepper, onion and mushrooms. Stir-fry about 5 minutes, or until nearly tender. Add the asparagus and 1 tablespoon of the sauce. Stir-fry 5 to 6 minutes longer or until asparagus is fork tender. Transfer vegetables to a bowl and set aside.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in the wok and add the shrimp-garlic mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, about 3 minutes or until the shrimp is just cooked through (pink) and the garlic is aromatic. Return the vegetables to the pan and drizzle the remaining sauce (and optional sesame oil) over the vegetables, tossing quickly to mix and heat through. Serve over rice or tofu.