FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Bacon & Cheddar Strata
With a full pound poised for the pan, this recipe begs you to not skimp on the bacon. Serve the make-ahead breakfast casserole smattered with a colorful collection of ingredients to a hungry crowd.
- 1 lb. bacon strips
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup(s) chopped tomatoes
- 8 slices white bread, cubed
- 2 cup(s) (8 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cup(s) 2% milk
- 1/4 cup(s) mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. prepared mustard
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- In a large skillet, cook bacon in batches until crisp; drain on paper towels. Crumble into a small bowl. Add the red pepper, onions and tomatoes.
- In a greased 13x9-inch baking dish, layer half of the bread, bacon mixture and cheese. Top with remaining bread and bacon mixture.
- In another bowl, combine the eggs, milk, mayonnaise and seasonings. Pour over top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, covered, at 350°F for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake 5 to 10 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.