FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Bacon Mac & Cheese
This homemade four-cheese macaroni harbors a little kick thanks to surprising ingredients like jalapeño and chili powder. Serve as a side dish or as the main course for lunch or dinner.
View all tips »
Editor's Note: Wear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
- 6 cup(s) uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 lb. bacon strips, chopped
- 1/3 cup(s) chopped onion
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 3 cup(s) 2% milk
- 2 cup(s) (8 oz.) shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 8 oz. process cheese (Velveeta®), cubed
- 1 cup(s) (4 oz.) shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup(s) (4 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings.
- Sauté onion and jalapeño in reserved drippings. Add milk and cheeses to pan; cook and stir until blended.
- Stir in the onion powder, chili powder, salt, pepper and pepper sauce. Add the cooked bacon and reserved pasta to pan; mix well.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-inch baking dish. Cover and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 to 15 minutes longer or until heated through.