FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Baked Ziti Casserole
Baked Ziti recipe with Progresso Recipe Starters fire roasted tomato cooking sauce.
View all tips »
Instead of ricotta cheese, you can substitute 3/4 cup cottage cheese and increase Parmesan cheese to 1/2 cup.
- 2 1/3 cup(s) uncooked ziti pasta (8 oz.)
- 1 lb. bulk Italian pork sausage
- 3 clove(s) garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can (18 oz) Progresso™ Recipe Starters™ fire roasted tomato cooking sauce
- 1 cup(s) onion (1 large), chopped
- 1/4 cup(s) fresh basil leaves, chopped or 2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 1 cup(s) ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup(s) Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 cup(s) shredded mozzarella cheese (4 oz.)
- Heat oven to 375°F. Cook and drain pasta as directed on package.
- Meanwhile, in 12-inch skillet, cook sausage and garlic over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to break up sausage, until sausage is no longer pink. Add cooking sauce, onion, basil, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and the cooked pasta; stir well.
- In small bowl, mix ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese and egg.
- Spoon pasta mixture into ungreased 11x7-inch (2-quart) glass baking dish. Spoon ricotta cheese mixture on top; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Cover casserole with foil spayed with cooking spray to prevent sticking. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, removing foil last 10 minutes of bake time, until cheese melts and mixture is hot and bubbly.