FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Make-ahead Beef Stew
Be prepared for busy afternoons with this make-ahead beef stew. Hearty beef and potatoes in a flavorful sauce make for heartwarming comfort food everyone will love.
View all tips »
This is a great meal to make ahead before the holiday rush. Just put into the freezer and you have a meal for 6. Serve with a fresh salad.
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 lb. chuck roast, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 3 large onions, peeled and cubed
- 6 clove(s) garlic, chopped
- 3 cup(s) carrots
- 1/2 bottle of good red wine
- 4 large potatoes, washed and cubed
- 3 cup(s) mushrooms, cleaned and cut in half
- 3 cup(s) chicken broth or beef broth
- 2 Tbsp. dried or freshly chopped thyme
- 3 Tbsp. dried or freshly chopped parsley
- Heat a large enough pot to hold all ingredients.
- In 3 batches, brown the chuck roast with olive oil. Do not overcrowd the pot or the meat will not get golden brown. Set browned meat aside.
- When all meat is browned, add garlic and onions and cook for 5 minutes. Add meat back into the pan. Add the red wine, thyme and parsley and cover pot on medium heat. Let mixture cook for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- After 1 hour, add carrots, potatoes and mushrooms. Cook for another hour or until meat is tender.