FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Red Velvet Cake with Black Walnuts
A new twist on the popular Red Velvet Cake recipe. Hammons™ Black Walnuts add rich complexity to make this luxurious dish even more irresistible.
- 1/2 cup(s) shortening
- 1 1/2 cup(s) granulated sugar
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. cocoa
- 1 cup(s) buttermilk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 oz. red food coloring
- 1 tsp. baking soda dissolved in:
- 1 Tbsp. vinegar
- 1/3 cup Hammons™ Black Walnuts, chopped
Any traditional baked good recipe can be made extra special with the simple addition of Hammons™ Black Walnuts. Add 1 cup of Black Walnuts to your favorite brownie, cake, cookie or other baked dish to see results just as fantastic as this recipe.
- In a stand mixer with paddle attachment or with electric hand mixer beat together shortening, sugar and eggs.
- Sift together flour, salt and cocoa.
- Add sifted mixture and buttermilk a little at a time alternating between wet and dry ingredients
- Fold in the Black Walnuts, vanilla and soda/vinegar mixture.
- Fill two 8-inch round cake pans lined with parchment paper or non-stick spray.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
- Top with either a vanilla buttercream or a cream cheese frosting.
- Press additional toasted Black Walnuts into the side or sprinkle on top.