FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Johnsonville® Brats make for a tasty lunch. Something about this sandwich’s combination of dressing, cheese and garden touches (and don’t forget that sugar) make for the type of sandwich we’d order every time.
- 5 Johnsonville® bratwursts
- 5 large hot dog or hoagie buns
- 6 oz. Swiss or Gruyere cheese
- 1 cup(s) Thousand Island dressing
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 med. red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cup(s) sauerkraut, drained
- 2 dashes Tabasco
- Pinch of sugar
- Carefully slice each brat about 3/4 of the way through, lengthwise. Press down with your hand to flatten
- Add them to a hot skillet with about 1/2 cup of water. Cover and cook for 6 to 7 minutes, turning once. Remove cover and continue cooking for another 5 or 6 minutes until brats are cooked through (no longer visibly pink). Keep warm while you finish the sandwich.
- Add vegetable oil to the hot skillet. Add the red onion and garlic and sauté until tender, about 3 to 4 minutes. Lower heat and add the sauerkraut, sugar and hot sauce. Heat through.
- Assemble sandwich: Spread bun with a generous layer of Thousand Island dressing, add sauerkraut, a slice of cheese, and top with the sliced brat. Yum.