FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Butternut Squash and Sausage Soup
Crisp fall temperatures, jumping in leaf piles and smooth, sweet butternut squash soup. The excitement of the season is in the air and now it’s on the table with a batch of this rich, festive soup.
View all tips »
Adding cream to the soup adds a velvety texture, but if you then allow it to boil, the soup could “break” or appear curdled.
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 lb. Italian sausage, removed from casings
- 3 lb. butternut squash, cubed
- 1/2 cup(s) chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Dash freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cup(s) light chicken stock or broth
- 1/2 cup(s) heavy cream
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a 6-quart Dutch oven or large saucepan. Break sausage into small pieces and sauté until it is cooked through; remove from pan and set aside. Drain off all but 2 tablespoons of oil. Stir in onions and cook for 5 minutes. Add squash and reduce heat to medium and cover, stirring occasionally until squash is very soft. Stir in chicken stock. Remove from heat.
- Transfer soup in batches to the carafe of a blender. Purée until soup is smooth. Return to pan. Stir in reserved sausage. Heat until simmering. Stir in heavy cream and serve.