FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Butternut Squash Soup
The orange pulp of butternut squash makes for a beautiful presentation in a simple white soup-serving bowl. This soup embraces the sweet nutty flavor of the squash and builds on it with sweet apples and tart orange juice.
View all tips »
Soup can be garnished with sour cream or fresh sage.
- 4 lb. butternut squash
- 2 yellow onions, sliced
- 1 apple, sliced
- 1/2 cup(s) freshly squeezed orange juice
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- 6 cup(s) chicken stock
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place the butternut squash and 2 tablespoons of olive oil on a sheet pan and roast for 25 minutes until soft.
- Place the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large stockpot and sauté the onions and apples until soft – about 5 minutes.
- Scoop out the butternut squash and add to the onion and apple mixture.
- Add chicken stock and orange juice to stockpot and let cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- With an immersion hand blender, purée soup until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper.