FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Caramelized Onions in Mashed Potatoes
Experience the savory flavor trifecta of sweet onions, rich cream cheese and hearty mashed potatoes. Turn to this recipe to make a traditional side dish more exciting.
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1/8 tsp. seasoned salt
- 6 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 1/3 cup(s) chopped onion
- 1/3 cup(s) packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup(s) sour cream
- 1/4 cup(s) half-and-half cream
- 2 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water; add seasoned salt.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Add onion; cook until slightly softened.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar; cook until brown sugar is bubbly and onion is tender.
- Drain potatoes; transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the sour cream, half-and-half, cream cheese, salt, pepper, cayenne and remaining butter; mash until smooth. Stir in the onion mixture.