FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Cherry-Almond Cream Scones
Prepare these cherry-almond cream scones in advance for a delicious breakfast treat. The cherry flavor and crumbly texture is a favorite among kids.
View all tips »
If buttermilk is not available, substitute plain yogurt. Store scones in an airtight tin. They also freeze well.
- 1 cup(s) buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp. white sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/2 butter, melted
- 1/2 cup(s) canned pitted cherries, chopped and juice drained
- 1/2 cup(s) blanched almonds, chopped
- Place a baking rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 400°F. Lightly grease baking sheet.
- Beat together the buttermilk, egg and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Gradually stir in the baking powder, baking soda, salt and about 2 cups flour. Gradually add the melted butter, alternating with 1 cup flour. Stir in the cherries and almonds, adding a little more flour to make a stiff dough.
- Lightly flour a wooden board or surface and turn out the dough. Knead for 5 minutes until the dough becomes soft and elastic. Divide the dough into 3 equal parts and pat into 3 circles about 4 to 5 inches in diameter. Cut each circle into 5 or 6 wedges and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven until lightly browned on top, 20 to 25 minutes.