FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Cherry Nectarine Upside-Down Cake
Servings: 6 - 8
Savor the sweet taste of delicious cherries and nectarines in this fresh new take on the classic upside-down cake.
- 5 Tbsp. butter, softened, divided
- 1/4 cup(s) packed brown sugar
- 1 cup(s) pitted sweet cherries
- 2 cup(s) thinly sliced peeled fresh nectarines
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 2/3 cup(s) sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 1 cup(s) plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 2/3 cup(s) buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp. almonds, toasted and ground
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter; pour into a 9-inch round baking pan; sprinkle with brown sugar. Place a few cherries in center and arrange remaining cherries around edge of pan. Toss nectarines with lemon juice. Arrange nectarines in a circular pattern over sugar, overlapping slices; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and remaining butter until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in almonds. Spoon over fruit.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes. Run a knife around edge of pan; invert cake onto a serving plate. Serve warm.