FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Sauce over Rice
This is the ultimate in comfort food: creamy chicken served over rice. It’s a great recipe to whip up on a cold winter day.
View all tips »
- Sprinkle with parsley for more flavor and color.
- Don’t have rice? Serve over pasta.
- 1 cup(s) long-grain rice
- 2 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 2 cup(s) mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 1/4 cup(s) milk
- 1/2 cup(s) Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- tsp. pepper
- 1 Tbsp. sherry, optional
- 1/4 red bell pepper, diced, divided
- 1 can Member’s Mark® canned chicken breast (13ounce), drained
- Prepare rice according to package directions.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook mushrooms in the melted butter until browned and cooked through. Set aside.
- Melt remaining butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in flour using a wire whisk. Slowly pour in milk a little at a time, whisking to fully incorporate before adding more. The mixture will be thick but will thin as all the milk is added.
- When all milk is added, increase heat to medium, cooking until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat and cook, stirring frequently for 2 minutes. Stir in cheese, salt, pepper, thyme and sherry, if desired. Cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in chicken and 1/4 cup bell pepper; cook until mixture is heated through.
- Spoon over rice and garnish with remaining bell pepper.