FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
There’s something so naturally comforting about a meal that’s 100% homemade, like this creamy classic with tender veggies and chicken hidden under a crispy crust.
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 4 cup(s) water
- 3 medium carrots, halved widthwise
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 lb. whole fresh mushrooms
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 5 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup(s) milk
- 1 cup(s) frozen peas
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 5 Tbsp. shortening
- 1/2 cup(s) milk
- Place the chicken, water, carrots, onions, bouillon and bay leaf in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Add mushrooms and celery; simmer 15 minutes longer or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken; allow to cool. Strain broth, reserving vegetables; skim fat. Set aside 2 cups broth (save remaining broth for another use). Discard bay leaf. Remove meat from bones; discard bones. Chop vegetables and cut chicken into bite-size pieces.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk and reserved broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the chicken, cooked vegetables, peas and seasonings. Pour into a greased 2-quart baking dish; set aside.
- For biscuits, in a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8 to 10 times. Pat or roll out to 1/2-inch thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-inch biscuit cutter.
- Place biscuits on top of chicken mixture. Bake, uncovered at 400°F. for 25 minutes or until golden brown.