FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Coffee Ice Cream
A perennial favorite in New England, this creamy treat is the perfect topping to dress up a slice of chocolate cake or a brownie.
- 2 cup(s) heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cup(s) whole milk
- cup(s) strongly brewed Folgers® Classic Roast Coffee
- 3/4 cup(s) sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- Stir the heavy cream, milk, coffee and sugar together in a heavy saucepan. Over medium heat, bring the mixture almost to boiling, being careful not to boil. Remove mixture from the heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks until light colored. Whisk one cup of the hot cream mixture into the eggs. Slowly add the remaining cream, whisking constantly.
- Return the egg-cream mixture to the saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a clean mixing bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing the plastic against the surface. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Remove mixture from the refrigerator and pour into ice cream maker. Freeze according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Cook’s tip: Use an insta-read thermometer to indicate when the cream mixture has thickened to 170°.