FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Cold Curried Crab Soup
Curry is an ideal dish for entertaining. It improves with long, slow cooking ahead of time and its brilliant colors and exotic flavors seem festive any time of year.
- 1 Tbsp. chopped garlic (about 4 cloves)
- 1 Tbsp. chopped ginger
- 3 red Thai chiles (seeded and chopped) or 2 serrano chiles (seeded and chopped)
- cup(s) water
- 1/4 cup(s) peanut or vegetable oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 1/2 cup(s) minced onion (about 2 small)
- 3 Tbsp. curry powder
- 1 1/2 cup(s) minced, canned Roma tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- 2 cup(s) coconut milk
- 1 cup(s) chicken stock
- 2 bottles clam juice (8 ounce)
- 2 tsp. kosher salt or more
- 2 Tbsp. lime (or lemon) juice
- 1 1/2 lb. crab meat
- 1/2 cup(s) of each of 2 or more of these classic condiments: shredded unsweetened coconut, chopped cilantro, chopped scallions, toasted pumpkin seeds
- Combine garlic, ginger, chilies and 2 tablespoons of water in a blender and puree. Heat oil over medium-high heat in a 14-inch sauté pan or Dutch oven. When hot, add bay leaf and sauté for 5 seconds. Add the onion and sauté until golden brown, 7 to 10 minutes. Add the ginger mixture and sauté until aromatic and the water has evaporated.
- Add the curry powder plus 1 to 2 additional tablespoons of water and stir into the onions. Sauté for 1 to 2 minutes longer until aromatic. Add the tomatoes, cilantro, remaining water, coconut milk, chicken stock, clam juice and salt. Lower heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes to thicken.
- Remove from heat, stir in the lime juice and taste for additional salt.
- When cool, puree mixture in batches until very smooth. Chill. This can be prepared the day before and refrigerated.
- To serve, put in individual bowls and top each bowl with a sprinkling of 3 ounces crab (about 1/2 cup). Offer the condiments on the side.