FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Cream of Asparagus Soup
Asparagus is such a beautiful, seasonal vegetable that is most often simply steamed or roasted. Here, its delicate flavor is brought forth in a lush, creamy soup that is the essence of spring.
View all tips »
Be careful not to boil the soup after adding the milk or it will curdle.
- 1 lb. asparagus, woody ends removed
- 1 potato (medium), peeled and cubed
- 2 leeks
- 2 Tbsp. fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cup(s) whole milk
- 1/2 cup(s) chicken broth
- Remove stem end from leeks and slice in half lengthwise. Rinse thoroughly to remove dirt between layers.
- Heat butter in saucepan over low heat, add onions and garlic; sauté for 8 minutes. Add leeks, asparagus, potato, basil and broth, then whisk in milk. Cover and simmer over low until potato is very soft. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Use an immersion blender to puree until creamy, or let cool and puree in a blender. Serve.