FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Creamy Mashed Potato Soup
Most of the work is already done before the ingredients hit the stove in this simple one-pot recipe. Leftover or prepared mashed potatoes serve as a hearty foundation for a satisfying, cold-weather soup.
View all tips »
Use ready-to-serve or homemade mashed potatoes as a base for this soup. Thin to the consistency you like with chicken or turkey broth.
Stir more cheese and crisp bacon into the soup to make a creamy cheese and bacon soup.
- 4 slices bacon
- 1/2 cup(s) chopped onion
- 1 cup(s) to 1 1/2 cups chicken or turkey broth
- 3 cup(s) prepared mashed potatoes
- 1/2 cup(s) shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook bacon in a large saucepan and set aside to crumble. Drain bacon fat, reserving 1 tablespoon in pan.
- Add onion and cook until it is soft. Stir in mashed potatoes and enough broth to yield a creamy soup. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until mixture is hot.
- Transfer to soup bowls, garnish each bowl with 2 tablespoons shredded cheese and 1 slice crumbled bacon.