FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Creole-Stuffed French Bread Dinner
This simple dish will elicit admiring remarks when the whole crispy, stuffed loaf is brought to the table. The Creole flavors in the stuffing are reminiscent of jambalaya. Serve this with a green salad.
View all tips »
To create a dramatic presentation or centerpiece, slice the whole loaf at the table and serve.
- 1 Artisan Fresh™ Baguette
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup(s) sliced mushrooms
- 1 onion (medium), diced
- 1/2 cup(s) bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 lb. peeled, deveined medium shrimp, roughly chopped
- 1/2 lb. boneless spiral ham – half ham with honey glaze, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup(s) chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tsp. Creole seasoning
- Slice the baguette nearly in half lengthwise, leaving it attached on one side like a clamshell.
- Scoop the soft bread from the center, leaving a sturdy shell, and cut bread into cubes. Reserve the soft bread cubes (about 2 cups).
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Toast the soft bread cubes on a cookie sheet until crunchy. Let cool.
- In a large frying pan or Dutch oven, sauté the bacon until nearly cooked but not crispy. Add the celery, mushrooms, bell pepper, garlic and onion (add oil to keep from sticking, if needed) and sauté until bacon is cooked through and mushrooms are done. Add shrimp and Creole seasoning to the pan and sauté until tender (about 2 minutes).
- Whisk together the lemon juice, chicken broth, eggs and melted butter in a small bowl and toss mixture with toasted bread cubes. Let rest 5 minutes.
- Mound the stuffing on one side of the halved bread and sprinkle with coarse pepper. Close the other half of the loaf on top and brush all entire outside of the loaf with butter. Wrap tightly in foil and bake on cookie sheet for 25 minutes.
- Slice into wedges to serve.