FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Crispy Holiday Vanilla Sugar Cookies
From holiday parties to DIY gifts for friends, family and teachers, these sweet treats will get everyone into the festive spirit. Add your favorite toppings – such as chocolate chips or M&M’s® – to make these cookies even more personal.
- 3 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 2/3 cup(s) powdered sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 1/4 cup(s) bread flour
- 1 cup(s) sugar (for outside of cookie log)
- 1 egg (for outside of cookie log)
- 1 Tbsp. water (for outside of cookie log)
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle, mix the butter, vanilla extract and powdered sugar until light (about 5 minutes). With the mixer on speed 2, slowly add the egg yolks to the bowl. Scrape the sides of the bowl after the eggs are added.
- Add the flour all at once to the mixing bowl and mix on speed 1 until the dough comes together (about 30 seconds).
- Sprinkle a little flour on your work surface and divide the dough into 3 balls. Roll each dough ball into a 1-inch thick log. The length of each log does not matter.
- Take one dough log and place it on a piece of parchment paper. Gently roll the dough log on the paper so that the log is wrapped in the paper.
- Refrigerate each log for at least 4 hours so the dough will be firm. The dough can also be frozen for up to a month.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- While the oven is preheating, whisk together 1 egg with 1 tablespoon of water.
- Remove one dough log from the refrigerator, unroll the log from the parchment paper and place it on a cutting board.
- Brush the log with the egg and water wash and then roll the log in sugar so that it is coated evenly.
- Slice the log into 1/2-inch thick rounds. Place the round slices on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until light brown. Remove from the oven and let cool.