FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Curried Apple-Squash Soup
Soup is such wonderful comfort food as the weather turns crisp. This creamy soup is lovely on its own or with shredded, cooked chicken or poached shrimp to make it into a main course.
View all tips »
Hard squash are easiest to peel with a vegetable peeler, rather than a knife.
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cup(s) chopped onion
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 3 lb. butternut squash, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 New Crop Ambrosia or New Crop Honeycrisp apples, cored, peeled and chopped
- 4 cup(s) chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup(s) cream (room temperature)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. white pepper
- toasted sesame seeds, sliced green onions or sliced almonds (optional)
- Heat butter and olive oil in large stockpot. Add onions and sauté 6 to 7 minutes.
- Add curry powder and ginger. Continue to sauté another 3 to 4 minutes or until aromatic and onions are softened.
- Add butternut squash, apples, stock, salt and white pepper. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer about 40 minutes, or until squash and apples are very soft.
- Use an immersion blender to purée soup or let cool and then purée in a blender.
- Whisk in cream. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with sesame seeds, green onions or almonds, if using.