FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Fresh Tomato Tart
Servings: 6 - 8
Show off your fresh crop of stunning red tomatoes with this recipe that calls for fresh summer ingredients. From presentation to fresh taste and a remarkable impression on guests, this appetizer or lunch dish leaves so many features to tout.
- 1 1/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 6 Tbsp. cold butter
- 2 Tbsp. shortening
- 2 to 4 Tbsp. ice water
- 3/4 lb. fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup(s) prepared pesto
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine flour, Parmesan cheese, pepper and salt; cut in the butter and shortening until crumbly.
- Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry to fit a 9-inch fluted tart pan with removable bottom. Transfer pastry to tart pan; trim pastry even with edge.
- Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 375°F for 20 minutes. Remove foil; bake 15 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- Remove sides of tart pan. Place crust on a serving plate.
- Arrange mozzarella over crust with slices overlapping. Spread with pesto. Arrange tomato slices in an overlapping pattern on top. Season with salt and pepper.