FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Fried Chicken with Montreal Steak Seasoning
Great fried chicken is a national favorite, yet it can be hard to master at home.
View all tips »
- Try this chicken drizzled with honey or maple syrup!
- Simplify some of the challenges of managing the temperature of the oil (key!) by browning the chicken in hot oil and then finishing it in the oven. The soak in buttermilk ensures that the meat stays tender and moist.
- 18 chicken drumsticks or thighs (or a combination)
- 2 Tbsp. dried thyme
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. white pepper
- 3 cup(s) buttermilk
- 2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup(s) McCormick® Grill Mates® Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 6 cup(s) canola or peanut oil for deep-frying
- Combine buttermilk, thyme, salt and pepper in large bowl. Submerge chicken pieces in liquid and cover for 6 hours, or up to overnight, in the refrigerator.
- Remove chicken from refrigerator and let come to room temperature (about 25 minutes).
- Combine flour and McCormick® Grill Mates® Montreal Steak Seasoning in large flat pan or dish. Use a slotted spoon to drain chicken pieces, then dredge in flour mixture. Shake off excess flour and dip back into buttermilk and dredge in flour for a second time. Let rest on a rack for 10 minutes.
- In a large, deep stock pan, heat peanut oil to 360°F. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Carefully slip chicken pieces into the hot oil and cook for a total of 6 to 7 minutes per side, or until crispy and golden brown all over.
- Transfer to a cooling rack resting on a cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Drain on rack about 10 minutes before serving.