FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Grilled-Braised Pork Loin Back Ribs
Delicious doesn’t begin to describe the rich flavors of the pork loin back ribs prepared with this flavorful marinade.
- 7 lb. pork loin back ribs, cut in 2-inch pieces (about 24)
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup(s) extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cup(s) yellow onion, finely sliced
- 1/3 cup(s) garlic, minced
- 4 cup(s) Crimini or porcini mushrooms, sliced (about 3/4 pound)
- 2 cup(s) beef stock
- 1 1/2 cup(s) canned tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1/4 cup(s) seedless raisins
- 1/2 cup(s) 2 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. chili pepper, minced
- 3 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- cup(s) soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/4 cup(s) orange juice
- 1/4 cup(s) cider vinegar
- 1 cup(s) dry red wine
- 1/2 cup(s) Italian parsley, minced
- 6 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1/4 cup(s) orange peel, grated
- 4 large garlic cloves
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Trim all exterior fat from the ribs. Generously season the meat with salt and pepper using about 2 teaspoons salt and 2 teaspoons black pepper total.
- Combine the flour and cumin seeds in a shallow bowl, and dredge the ribs in this mixture.
- Heat the olive oil in a 15x13-inch roasting pan over medium-high heat and brown the pork loin back ribs on all sides in batches. Remove to a plate.
- Add additional oil as necessary and cook the onions in the same pan for 3 to 4 minutes to soften. Add the garlic and mushrooms; continue to cook and stir until the mushrooms are colored, and to prevent sticking, about 4 minutes. Add all of the remaining ingredients, through red wine, into the pan. Stir well to remove any sticky bits from the bottom of the pan.
- When the gravy is bubbling slowly, return the Pork Loin Back Ribs (bone side up) to the pan. Press the ribs down to submerge them in the sauce as much as possible. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven. Turn the ribs over after one hour.
- At the end of two hours total, turn the baby back ribs over, pushing them under the sauce. Cover the pan again and cook for 20 minutes longer until the meat is very tender. Remove the roasting pan from the oven and spoon off any grease from the surface of the sauce.
- The dish can be prepared through this point up to 2 days in advance and refrigerated. This chilling provides the advantage of allowing you to easily remove any excess grease from the pan. Reheat gently, covered.
- Grind the gremolata ingredients to a paste in a spice grinder or mini-processor. Serve Pork Loin Back Ribs with the pan sauce and vegetables and a generous sprinkling of the orange peel gremolata.