FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Home-Style Pot Roast
Skip the side dishes for this hearty meal-in-one. Traditional pot roast takes a little babysitting for the perfect infusion of tender meat and abundant vegetable flavors, but the whole family will agree it's a worthwhile effort.
- 1 beef eye round roast (2 1/2 lbs.)
- 6 Tbsp. all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 1/2 cup(s) plus 1/3 cup water, divided
- 1 1/2 cup(s) dry red wine or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 16 small red potatoes (2 lbs.), halved
- 4 medium carrots (3/4 lb.), halved lengthwise and cut into 2-in. pieces
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Coat the roast with 2 tablespoons flour. In a large nonstick skillet, brown roast on all sides in oil over medium-high heat; drain. Add 1 1/2 cups water, wine, bouillon and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Add the potatoes, carrots and onions; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender. Remove meat and vegetables; keep warm.
- Pour pan juices into a measuring cup; skim fat. Add enough water to measure 2 cups. In a small saucepan, combine remaining flour and water until smooth. Stir in salt. Gradually stir in the 2 cups pan juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with roast and vegetables.