FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Italian Country Turkey Meatloaf
With this recipe, you get two meals in one. By combining lean ground turkey with Italian sausage, the meatloaf and meatballs contain all that great, home-cooked flavor you love without the usual complement of calories, topped with a sauce that brings it all together.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup(s) onion, diced
- 1/2 cup(s) mushrooms, chopped
- 2 lb. ground turkey (lean 90%)
- 1/2 cup(s) milk
- bread cubes (2 or 3 slices Italian country bread, crusts removed)
- 1 cup(s) 2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 eggs
- 1 Tbsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 cup(s) flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- Optional: 8 strips of turkey bacon
Sauce (for 2 meatloaves)
- 1 can plum tomatoes, crushed (14.5 ounce)
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/2 cup(s) red wine
- Put the olive oil in a small sauté pan over medium heat. When hot, add onions and mushrooms and sauté for about 4 minutes until the onions are clear. Set aside until cool.
- Pour the milk into a bowl and soak the bread in it, squeezing it into a paste.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, including ½ cup of the canned tomatoes and the drained bread. Knead ingredients just enough to blend. Do not over handle.
- Combine remaining canned tomatoes, tomato paste and wine in a small bowl.
- Form mixture into an 8” by 4” loaf and 12 golf ball-sized meatballs (or 2 loaves). Put the meatloaf on a foil lined baking sheet. Pour tomato sauce over the top. (Top with optional bacon here.) Put the meatballs on a cookie sheet and freeze before sealing.
- Bake until firm, about 1 hour and 15 minutes (or until an internal temp of 170°F). Remove the pan from the oven and let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.