FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Servings: 4 (1 cup)
These easy candied nuts make a fine addition to a cheese platter or a holiday cookie assortment. You can find maple flavoring in the spice section of most supermarkets, along with the vanilla and other extracts. For an equally tasty variation, substitute pure vanilla extract for the maple.
- 1 cup(s) packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup(s) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup(s) sour cream or plain yogurt, drained of any excess liquid
- tsp. salt
- 4 cup(s) Diamond Walnut Halves
- 2 tsp. maple flavoring
- Line a large baking sheet with foil or parchment paper, coat with vegetable oil spray.
- In a heavy, medium saucepan, mix together brown sugar, granulated sugar, sour cream, and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until mixture is smooth and comes to a boil. Continue cooking, stirring, until mixture reaches 236 to 240 on a candy thermometer. (A small spoonful of the mixture dropped into ice water will form a soft ball when rubbed between your index finger and thumb.)
- QUICKLY stir in walnuts and maple flavoring; cook, stirring, until nuts are coated completely, 2 to 3 minutes. Working carefully, spread walnuts in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet, separating nuts with a fork.
- Let cool completely. Store airtight at room temperature up to 1 week.