FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Meat Sauce for Pasta
Have a busy weekend on the horizon? Be prepared with this easy make-ahead pasta sauce with hearty chunks of sausage and mushrooms. Especially when time is tight, everyone will be impressed that it's homemade.
- 2 lb. bulk Italian sausage or ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 15 oz. tomato sauce
- 14 1/2 oz. diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 oz. mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/2 cup(s) minced parsley
- 2 tsp. garlic salt
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. each dried basil, chili powder and pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- Hot cooked pasta
- In a Dutch oven, cook meat and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, tomatoes, mushrooms, parsley and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover; simmer 15 minutes longer or until sauce reaches desired consistency. Discard bay leaves. Freeze in meal-size portions.
- To use frozen meat sauce: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Place in a saucepan; heat through. Serve over pasta.