FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Meatball Sub with Barbecue Sauce and Grilled Onions
Here’s a beefy sandwich you can enjoy at your next tailgating party. The sweetness of the barbecue sauce perfectly complements the combination of Italian sausage, garlic and onion.
- 1/4 cup(s) olive oil
- 1 cup(s) onion, diced
- 1 cup(s) chopped mushrooms
- 2 lb. ground beef (lean 90%)
- 1 lb. Italian sausage, sweet or spicy
- 1/2 cup(s) milk
- 1 cup(s) bread cubes (2 or 3 slices Italian country bread, crusts removed)
- 2 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup(s) chopped flat leaf parsley
- 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 cup(s) breadcrumbs
- 2 1/2 cup(s) barbecue sauce
- 4 strips bacon (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Put 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. When hot, add onions and mushrooms (and bacon, if using) and sauté until the onions are clear, about 4 minutes. Remove onion mixture from pan and let cool; reserve pan.
- Pour milk into a bowl; add bread. Soak and squeeze the bread into a paste.
- Combine all remaining ingredients, except breadcrumbs, in a large bowl including the drained bread. Knead just enough to blend ingredients. (Do not over-handle.)
- Form mixture into 12 large meatballs and roll in breadcrumbs to coat. Heat the sauté pan with remaining olive oil to medium high. Add meatballs to pan, flattening slightly to brown/crisp on all sides.
- Transfer the meatballs to a large baking dish and cover with your favorite barbecue sauce. Cover dish with foil for the first 15 minutes of cooking, then uncover.
- Bake about 45 minutes until firm (or until meatballs reach an internal temperature of 170°F). Remove pan from the oven and let the meatballs cool for at least 5 minutes before serving with additional sauce and grilled onions on your favorite roll or baguette.