FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Mushroom, Apple and Fontina Turnovers
Turnovers are ideal for entertaining, sturdy enough to be prepared in advance and easy to enjoy as finger food. They may be prepared and frozen before cooking; well wrapped, they can be held in the freezer for up to 2 weeks before baking.
View all tips »
This turnover recipe can be prepared, as directed, to create hors’ d’oeuvres, or made larger to be served as an elegant first course.
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup(s) minced shallot or onion (about 1 large)
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cup(s) chopped shiitake, Portobello or other mushrooms
- 1/2 cup(s) New Crop Ambrosia or New Crop Honeycrisp apples, peeled and grated
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. dry sherry
- 1 Tbsp. lemon zest
- 1 cup(s) grated Fontina cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 frozen pie crusts, thawed according to package directions
- Heat butter and oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots or onions and sauté about 4 minutes, or until softened.
- Add garlic, mushrooms, apples and thyme. Sauté about 10 minutes, or until mushrooms and apples are softened and cooked through. Add the lemon juice and sherry. Simmer for 30 seconds. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Mix in lemon zest. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Roll out the pie crust to about an 18-inch circle. Cut into 3- to 3 1/2-inch rounds with a cookie or biscuit cutter.
- Put 1 rounded teaspoon of filling in the center of each pastry square and top with grated Fontina cheese.
- Brush a little egg wash around the rim. Fold over to form a half moon. Pinch the edges together with your fingers and use the back of a fork to firmly seal the edges. Brush the top of the pocket with the egg wash and put on a cookie sheet lined with parchment. (Turnovers may be frozen at this stage for up to 2 weeks.)
- Bake about 15 minutes until puffed up and golden brown.