FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Mushroom-Herb Stuffed Chicken
This simple, savory stuffing turns a roast chicken into a special Saturday night dinner or Sunday lunch.
View all tips »
This same stuffing recipe could easily be doubled or tripled to use in a Thanksgiving turkey. It’s also very good in stuffed pork chops.
- 1 large roasting chicken (4 to 5 pound)
- 1/4 cup(s) butter
- 1/2 cup(s) onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup(s) mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup(s) celery, diced
- 1 tsp. dried thyme (or 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme, chopped)
- 3 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped (or 1 Tbsp. dried parsley)
- 2 cup(s) cubed Artisan Fresh™ Baguette (4 to 5 ounce)
- 1 beaten egg
- 2 Tbsp. broth or milk
- 1/4 cup(s) chopped pecans
- 1 tsp. each salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt butter in a medium sauté pan. Add onions, mushrooms, celery and garlic. Sauté about 5 minutes, or until onions are soft. Stir in thyme, pecans, parsley and baguette cubes.
- Whisk broth and egg together; pour over bread mixture and toss to mix. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Fill the cavity of the bird loosely with the stuffing—do not pack it in—and use a skewer or toothpick to close the loose skin over the stuffing.
- Brush the bird all over with butter or olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Put into a roasting pan and bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until juices run clear and a thermometer inserted into the thigh reads 165°F.