FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
New Orleans Gumbo
Embrace a taste of the Big Easy. A little more time during the prep for this gumbo recipe goes a long way in delivering authentic flavor.
- 2 cup(s) chicken broth
- 1 cup(s) uncooked converted rice
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 28 oz. diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-in. cubes
- 1/2 lb. smoked kiolbassa or Polish sausage, cut into 1/2-in. slices
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup(s) cold water
- 1 lb. uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup(s) minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Stir in the rice, celery, onion and garlic. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, combine the tomatoes, chicken, kielbasa, thyme, pepper, bay leaves and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Combine flour and water until smooth; gradually stir into chicken mixture. Stir in shrimp and green pepper. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 4 to 6 minutes or until shrimp turn pink and gumbo is thickened. Discard bay leaves.
- Remove rice from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes; stir in parsley. Serve with gumbo.