FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Orange-Buttermilk Waffles with Orange-Blueberry Sauce
Wake up to enjoy crispy, citrus-flavored waffles topped with an easy-to-make orange-blueberry sauce and a sweet day is guaranteed.
View all tips »
- One large orange yields about 1 tablespoon orange zest.
- Be sure frozen blueberries are well thawed and drained before adding to the batter.
- Cooked waffles may be kept warm in an oven heated to 325°F until ready for serving.
- Waffles can be frozen, so you can make them in advance or freeze any leftovers.
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 1/3 cup(s) buttermilk
- cup(s) Simply Orange® Juice
- 1 Tbsp. orange zest, grated
- 2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. white sugar
- cup(s) melted butter
- 3 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 1 cup(s) Simply Orange Juice
- 1 1/2 cup(s) blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 3 Tbsp. honey
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. orange zest, grated
- Whisk the egg yolks, buttermilk, Simply Orange® Juice and orange zest together in a large mixing bowl. Gradually whisk the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into the egg mixture, alternating with the melted butter. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 20 minutes to let the batter rest before making the waffles.Preheat and grease an electric waffle iron to medium-high heat.Fold in the beaten egg whites, taking care not to over-mix the batter. Pour about 1/6 of the batter onto the prepared waffle iron to cover about 3/4 of the iron bottom and close the lid. When golden brown on both sides, remove to a warm serving plate and repeat to make the next waffle.
- Pour 3/4 cup orange juice into a saucepan over medium heat. Add the blueberries, orange zest and honey; bring to a boil.Meanwhile, blend the cornstarch with the remaining 1/4 orange juice in a small bowl. Stir into the orange-blueberry mixture. Continue stirring until mixture thickens. Serve sauce warm over the waffles.