FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Orange and Pork Turnovers
Some type of pastry turnover appears in nearly every cuisine. Whether it’s called an empanada, calzone or knish, savory fillings encased in pastry are universally popular. This recipe reveals the flavors typical of central Mexico: Cinnamon, cumin, chili, pork and raisins.
View all tips »
Turnovers may be prepared and frozen before cooking; well-wrapped, they can be stored in the freezer for up to 2 weeks before baking.
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup(s) minced onion (about 1 small)
- 1/2 lb. pork sausage meat, crumbled
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp. orange zest
- 1/2 tsp. red chili flakes
- 3/4 cup(s) Hunt’s® Tomato Sauce
- 2 Tbsp. orange juice
- 2 Tbsp. Sun-Maid® Raisins, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. toasted pine nuts (or chopped, toasted almonds)
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp. milk
- 2 boxes of pre-made pie crust
- Pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large sauté pan, heat oil to medium-high. Add onions and sauté about 3 minutes or until soft. Add the pork sausage and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the tomato sauce, cinnamon, cumin, coriander, orange zest and chili flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the pork is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Add the orange juice, raisins, sugar and pepper to taste. Simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes or until most of the liquid has cooked off. Stir in the nuts and set aside to cool.
- Whisk the egg and milk together to make an egg wash.
- Roll out the pie crust to about an 18-inch square. Cut into 2 rectangles.
- Put 2 tablespoons of filling in the center of each rectangle. Brush a little egg wash around the rim. Fold over to form a square pocket. Pinch the edges together with your fingers; then press the edge with the back of a fork to firmly seal the edges.
- Brush the top of the pocket with the egg wash and put on a cookie sheet lined with parchment. Bake about 15 minutes, or until golden brown.