FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Servings: Makes 1 1/2 cups
This tangy relish is a wonderful way to celebrate the delicious produce available this season. Serve this relish with grilled pork chops, ribs, eggplant sandwiches or chicken.
- 12 garlic cloves
- Peel from 1/4 navel orange
- 1/2 cup(s) fresh orange juice
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. brown mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp. fennel seeds
- 2 lb. ripe Roma tomatoes peeled and chopped, reserving juice (Or 28 ounce canned whole tomatoes in juice)
- 3/4 cup(s) red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup(s) brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne or red chili flakes
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Purée garlic, ginger, orange peel and orange juice in a blender.
- Heat oil in a 2- to 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderately high heat until hot, but not smoking, and add mustard seeds and fennel, sauté for 1 minute. Add garlic mixture, and then cook over moderate heat, stirring, 1 minute more. Add tomatoes (with juice), vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper and cayenne and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer chutney, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 1.5 to 2 hours (lower heat as necessary).
- Transfer chutney to a bowl. Cool, uncovered, then chill, covered, at least 2 days (up to 2 weeks) to allow flavors to develop.