FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Poached Pears with French Toast
Flavors of orange, clove and vanilla are infused into the pears as they simmer. This is a simply sensational sauce for French toast, pancakes or ice cream.
View all tips »
Flavors of the orange peel, cloves, etc. are infused into the pears and liquid as they simmer.
Try vanilla beans for an additional garnish.
- 1 cup(s) water
- 1/2 cup(s) sugar
- 3 strips orange zest
- 7 whole cloves
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 star anise
- 1/4 cup(s) raisins
- 3 whole pears (Comice), peeled and cored
- 3/4 cup(s) maple syrup
- Bring water and sugar to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- Add orange peel, zest cloves, vanilla extract, star anise, raisins and pears.
- Cook for about 15 minutes or until liquid starts to thicken (test pears with a skewer or knife for tenderness).
- Remove pears.
- Chop 2 pears into cubes or pulse in a food processor. Slice 1 pear in half and set aside for garnish.
- Continue simmering the liquid, adding the maple syrup until the liquid has thickened.
- Slice the pears on top of French toast and drizzle with syrup.