FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Pork and Pineapple Stir Fry
The velveting step in this recipe - soaking the pork strips in egg white, cornstarch and sherry - makes the meat both extraordinarily tender and moist. This step is essential for creating an authentically Asian stir-fry recipe that goes together very quickly.
View all tips »
When stir-frying, it’s very important not to overload the pan or you will, in effect, simmer the food in oil instead of quickly crisping.
- 1 lb. boneless pork loin, thinly sliced into strips
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. dry sherry
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. peanut oil
- 3 Tbsp. dry sherry
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. pineapple juice (from canned pineapple)
- 3 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. rice wine or cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup(s) chicken stock
- 5 tsp. soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp. peanut oil
- 1/2 red or green bell pepper, finely slivered
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. ginger, grated
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, minced (or 1 teaspoon red chili flakes)
- 1/2 cup(s) canned pineapple, diced
- In a medium bowl, toss together the sliced pork, cornstarch, sherry, salt, pepper and egg whites. Let sit for 30 minutes at room temperature and then drain.
- For the sauce, whisk together the sherry, chicken stock, pineapple juice, cornstarch, sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large wok or high-sided skillet over medium-high heat until almost smoking. Add drained pork in batches (don’t overcrowd the pan).
- Stir fry, stirring and turning constantly until cooked through - about 1 1/2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to a plate.
- Add more oil to the pan. When hot, add the scallion, minced chili, ginger, garlic and bell pepper. Sauté for 10 to 15 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add sauce and cook, stirring constantly until thickened, about 20 seconds. Return pork and pineapple to pan and toss with sauce until well coated. Serve topped with almonds or sesame seeds.