FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Roast Asparagus with Homemade Lemon Mayonnaise
Asparagus and mayonnaise are classic spring flavors. The asparagus can be roasted or grilled ahead and served room temperature drizzled with the sauce.
View all tips »
Vary the flavor of your homemade mayo with any fresh herb in place of the tarragon, like basil, dill or cilantro. Mayonnaise can be prepared and refrigerated up to 2 days in advance.
- 2 egg yolks, plus 1 egg
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. lemon juice (or white wine vinegar)
- 1 1/2 cup(s) peanut or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. dried tarragon
- Pinch of white pepper
- 1 1/2 lb. asparagus
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Place eggs and Dijon mustard in a food processor. Blend 15 to 20 seconds or until well mixed.
- Add salt and lemon juice or vinegar to processor. Blend another 7 to 10 seconds.
- With the machine running, slowly add the peanut or vegetable oil and tarragon. After adding about 1 1/4 cups of oil, stop the machine and test for thickness. From this point on, add more oil to make the mayonnaise thicker. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Snap off the woody ends of the asparagus. Lightly brush asparagus spears with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Arrange asparagus on a cookie sheet and put into oven for 10 to 12 minutes to roast, turning with tongs to color on all sides. Remove to a platter.
- Using the back of a fork, drizzle the mayonnaise over the asparagus and garnish with lemon wedges.