FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Saucy Italian Meatball Subs
These sandwiches are hearty enough for a fun family dinner or a movie-evening supper. Though the optional bacon isn’t traditional, it really adds zip to this favorite. Using Classico® Tomato & Basil Premium Pasta Sauce makes this dish even quicker to prepare.
View all tips »
Slice the meatballs in half to make the sandwich easier to eat.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup(s) onion, diced
- 1/2 cup(s) chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 cup(s) milk
- 3/4 cup(s) Italian country bread cubes, crusts removed (2 or 3 slices)
- 2 lb. ground beef (lean 90%)
- 2 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 Tbsp. dried Italian seasoning
- 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 6 large sub or sourdough rolls
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 12 slices Provolone or mozzarella cheese
- 1 jar Classico® Tomato and Basil Premium Pasta Sauce (26 ounce)
- 8 strips of bacon (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Heat olive oil in a small sauté pan over medium heat. Add onions and mushrooms. Sauté for about 4 minutes or until the onions are clear. Set aside until cool.
- Pour the milk into a bowl and soak the bread in it for 2 minutes, squeezing it into a paste.
- Combine mushroom mixture with all remaining ingredients in a large bowl, including the drained bread. Knead ingredients just enough to blend. Do not over handle.
- Form mixture into 12 meatballs and put them on a foil-lined baking sheet. (Top with bacon, if using.)
- Bake meatballs for 15 to 20 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, heat the pasta sauce over low heat in a large saucepan.
- Place cooked meatballs in the warm sauce and toss to coat.
- Slice the sub or sourdough rolls in half and remove some of the bread to make room for the meatballs.
- Brush with olive oil and place in the oven to toast during the last few minutes of cooking the meatballs.
- Fill each toasted sandwich with 2 meatballs, sliced onion, provolone cheese and the optional bacon, if using.
- Return meatball subs to the oven for 2 to 3 minutes to melt the cheese. Enjoy immediately.