FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
The following recipe simplifies the concept of cioppino—which can sometimes feel intimidating—by breaking it down into mostly done-ahead steps. Serve lots of crisped garlic bread on the side.
View all tips »
The dish can be prepared through Step 2 up to one day in advance and refrigerated. (If refrigerated, bring the sauce back to a gentle simmer, then continue with directions.)
- 1/4 cup(s) olive oil
- 1 large onion, minced
- 3/4 cup(s) scallion, diced
- 1 cup(s) red bell pepper, diced
- 2 Tbsp. garlic, minced
- 1 bottle clam juice
- 1 cup(s) dry white wine
- 1/2 tsp. red chili flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 1/2 cup(s) Hunt’s® Tomato Sauce
- 1/4 cup(s) basil, finely shredded
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 cup(s) chopped Italian parsley, divided
- 1 lb. white fish fillets (tilapia, cod, halibut), cut into large chunks
- 1/2 lb. lump crab meat or lobster meat chunks
- 1/2 lb. raw medium shrimp
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 4 lemons, quartered
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large kettle (at least 6 quarts). Add the onion, scallion and bell pepper. Sauté about 5 minutes or until the onions are softened. Add the garlic and sauté another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add listed ingredients, from tomato paste through herbs, plus 1 teaspoon salt, several grindings of black pepper and 1/2 cup parsley. Simmer uncovered over low heat for 15 minutes to develop the flavors.
- Add the white fish chunks to the pot over medium-low heat and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Add the shrimp, submerging in the broth, and the crabmeat. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes until the shrimp are pink and firm. Taste for salt and pepper. Remove from the heat, cover and let sit for 3 to 4 minutes before serving.
- To serve, ladle the assorted seafood into each bowl, cover with broth and sprinkle generously with remaining parsley. Each bowl should be served with lemon wedges.