FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Shepherd’s Pie with Ham and Peas
A traditional shepherd’s pie is basically a potpie topped with mashed potatoes instead of pastry. Lamb and beef are both traditional fillings. Here, we update this comfort food with boneless spiral ham – half ham with honey glaze.
View all tips »
This dish is also wonderful with yams or sweet potatoes instead of russets.
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup onion, sliced
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 1 1/3 cup chicken or vegetable broth, heated in microwave
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup(s) cooked carrots, green beans or other leftover vegetable, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. each dried sage, kosher salt and white pepper
- 1 tsp. mustard (yellow or your favorite)
- 2 cups diced Castle Wood Reserve® Boneless Spiral Ham
- 2 cups diced cooked potatoes
- 1/2 cup milk, buttermilk or cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp. melted butter, plus 1/2 Tbsp. for top
- 1/2 tsp. ea. salt and pepper
- Combine all topping ingredients in a mixer and whip to combine and fluff. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, mushroom and garlic. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes, or until softened.
- Add flour, whisking to blend. Cook, stirring, 2 to 3 minutes. Whisk in the hot stock mixture. Simmer briskly for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring until thick. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the vegetables, ham, spices, mustard and sage.
- Add the sauce to the bowl of ham and vegetables and toss to combine.
- Put the filling in a deep, 8-inch soufflé dish. Top with whipped potatoes (you could pipe potatoes on in rosettes or just spread in a layer with a spatula). Dot with butter.
- Bake at 375°F for 30 to 35 minutes or until potatoes turn golden brown. Sprinkle with chopped parsley.