FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
This recipe leans on layer upon layer of natural flavors from green pepper, celery, mushrooms, carrots and onion to deliver a robust taste while keeping calorie counts in check. And it does it successfully. This traditional dish is perfect for making in quantity to serve a hungry bunch.
- 1 1/2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-in. pieces
- 3 tsp. canola oil, divided
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 3/4 cup(s) sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 29 oz. tomato sauce
- 14 1/2 oz. Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 tsp. dried basil
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 9 oz. uncooked spaghetti
- Additional shredded carrot, optional
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown chicken in 2 teaspoons oil; drain. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute the green pepper, celery and onion in remaining oil for 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms, carrot and garlic; saute 2 to 4 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, tomatoes and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 to 12 minutes or until thickened. Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions.
- Stir chicken into tomato mixture; cook for 8 to 12 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Discard bay leaf. Drain spaghetti; serve with chicken mixture. Garnish with additional carrot if desired.