FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Slow Cooker Veal Stew with Garden Vegetables
Hearty and delicious, this veal stew is a snap to make in the slow cooker. Assemble and set it to cook in the morning, and then savor the mouthwatering aroma from the kitchen when you return home in the evening.
View all tips »
Time Saver: You may also cook this recipe on high for 4 to 5 hours.
Easy Substitution: You can substitute skinless, boneless chicken thighs for the veal.
- 2 to 2 1/2 lbs. veal for stew, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 bag (16 oz.) fresh or thawed frozen baby-cut carrots
- 1 large onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 2 cup(s) Swanson® Chicken Broth
- 1/2 tsp. dried rosemary leaves, crushed
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup(s) frozen peas, thawed
- 2 cup(s) regular long-grain white rice, prepared according to package directions (about 6 cups)
- Season the veal with black pepper.
- Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the veal in batches and cook until well browned, stirring often.
- Place the veal, carrots, onion and garlic into a 4-quart slow cooker. Sprinkle with the flour and toss to coat.
- Stir in the broth, rosemary and tomatoes. Cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours.
- Add the peas to the cooker. Cover and cook for 1 hour or until the veal is fork-tender. Season with additional black pepper. Serve the veal mixture with the rice.