FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Spiced Holiday Sugar Cookies
A twist on traditional sugar cookies, this recipe offers a pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg for holiday inspired flavor that kids and adults alike will enjoy!
View all tips »
To make the Colorful Cookie Icing, mix 1 cup confectioners' sugar, 3 to 4 teaspoons milk and 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract. (Stir in additional milk as needed to thin icing or confectioners' sugar to thicken) Place a small amount of icing into small shallow bowls, using one bowl for each color you want. Then, stir drops of McCormick® Assorted Food Colors & Egg Dye into icing until you get the shade you desire.
- 2 1/3 cup(s) flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. McCormick® Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. McCormick® Ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/4 cup(s) sugar
- 1 cup(s) butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp. McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- Colorful Cookie Icing (recipe follows)
- Mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in medium bowl. Set aside. Beat sugar and butter in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; mix well. Gradually stir in flour mixture on low speed until well mixed. Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm.
- Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into shapes with cookie cutters. Place on greased baking sheets.
- Bake in preheated 375°F oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on baking sheets 1 minute. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
- To ice cookies, hold cookie by its edge and dip top of cookie into icing. (Or spoon the icing onto cookie using a teaspoon.) Place iced cookies on wire rack set over foil-covered baking sheet to dry. (The foil-covered baking sheet will catch drips.) To add decorative details to cookies, spoon tinted icing into re-sealable plastic bag. Snip off a tiny piece of the corner. Squeeze icing through hole in plastic bag to decorate cookies. If desired, colored sugar may be sprinkled onto freshly iced cookies.