FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Spicy Creole Shrimp on Smokey Rice
All of the traditional flavors of New Orleans come together in this simple-to-prepare shrimp classic.
View all tips »
Cooked spicy sausage would also be good in the rice.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup(s) onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup(s) red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 tsp. Creole seasoning
- 15 oz. Hunt’s® Tomato Sauce
- 1 bay leaf, crushed
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 1/4 lb. large shrimp, peeled and tails removed
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 3 cup(s) uncooked Kraft® Minute® White Rice
- 3 cup(s) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup(s) ham, finely diced
- 2 Tbsp. Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 cup(s) cooked crab meat, optional
- In large skillet, sauté onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic with Creole seasoning in olive oil until onions are soft.
- Add tomato sauce, bay leaf, cayenne pepper, black pepper and sugar. Simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add shrimp and fresh lemon juice. Simmer for 10 minutes longer, or until shrimp are cooked and pink. (Add optional crab for last 3 minutes.)
- Meanwhile, cook rice according to package directions, substituting chicken broth for water. Stir ham into hot, cooked rice.
- Serve Creole Shrimp over rice topped with Italian parsley.