FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Sweet Potato Gratin with Caramelized Onion and Parmesan Cheese
Transform sweet potatoes into a rich, savory casserole that combines sweet and smooth flavors in a most satisfying way.
View all tips »
Substitute Parmesan with goat cheese.
- 5 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into thin rounds
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 2 large onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup(s) heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/4 cup(s) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- Olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. dried parsley
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Oil an 8x8-inch baking dish.
- In a skillet, heat butter and add onions and garlic on low heat and cook for 15 minutes.
- Place 1 layer of sliced potatoes overlapping slightly and 1 layer of onions. Drizzle cream over potatoes and onions and sprinkle with parsley and 1/4 cup Parmesan. Continue to make layers until dish is full. Sprinkle remaining Parmesan on top layer.
- Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes, and then uncover and continue baking for another 25 minutes until potatoes are tender and top is brown.
- Let it rest for 15 minutes.