FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Sweet and Spicy Rub for Chicken
A delicious rub that is perfect for rotisserie, beer can or smoked chicken. Generously rub all over a whole chicken and cook slow and low! This sweet but spicy rub would also be delicious on a whole pork loin, salmon fillets or racks of ribs.
View all tips »
Pungent garlic flavor without the mess and work of peeling and chopping fresh garlic! 3/4 teaspoon Tone’s® Garlic Powder equals 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic. 1/4 teaspoon Tone’s® Garlic Powder is the equivalent of one medium garlic clove.
- 2 Tbsp. Tone’s® Garlic Powder
- 2 Tbsp. Tone’s® Onion Powder
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. Tone’s® Spanish Style Paprika
- 2 Tbsp. Tone’s® Sea Salt
- 1 Tbsp. Tone’s® Oregano Leaves
- 1 Tbsp. Tone’s® Sweet Leaf Basil
- 1 Tbsp. dried thyme leaves
- 1 tsp. Tone’s® Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Tone’s® Cayenne Pepper
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 whole chicken (3-5 pound)
- 1 Tbsp. Mazola® Corn Oil
- Combine garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, sea salt, oregano, basil, thyme, black pepper, cayenne pepper and brown sugar in a small bowl.
- Rinse chicken and pat dry; place in a shallow pan.
- Coat all surfaces of the chicken with the oil.
- Rub 1/4 cup of the seasoning thoroughly over the chicken.
- Grill or smoke chicken over low indirect heat on a rotisserie, partially emptied beer can or on grill grates for 2 to 3 hours or until chicken is at least 170°F at wing or leg joints.
- Let chicken rest for 10 minutes before carving.
- Store remaining rub in a tightly closed container.